Monday, January 7, 2008

Getting sorted

well today i had an email offering me abuff drake for my 2 new girls.
So if all goes well i will turn my bargain birds into a trio of breeding buff orpingtons.So much to do in the mean time. I have to knock up 2 more pens!
I have to move Waddles and Quackers (khaki campbells) away from their mussie mates and into a pen by themselves before they get too comfy *wink*
I also have to sort out the mussie duckling to see what i have and possibly sell off the young drakes.
I will hold onto 1. That will give me a breeding group of mussies.
I have to finish off the Jap and silkie pens (3 japs and 3 silkies are a sharing a pen at the moment) .
I also have to wait and see what i get in the way of ducklings from Polly and Molly and what chicks i get from the eggs i place under both of them.
The eggs are from my hyline hens "Browny" and "Turkin" and from "Fred" my silkie rooster. Should be a VERY interesting cross to say the least.
And being incubated by a duck!!!
The ducklings (if they hatch after all the hot weather) will be one each from polly and molly and by the big mammoth boy i borrowed from a friend.

Fred is not the world's best silkie as he has a single all be it funny looking comb. But he is lovely and sweet.
He runs the yard with 4 hyline hens,2 commerical blacks and 4 leghorn x new hampshire hens.Oh and a retired silkie hen called "wing-wing".
Wingy has never laid in the whole time i have owned her so i think she has done her bit for the chook breeding world and has taken a retirement.
The 3 little silkies are penned up with my 3 japs and i will sort them out closer to the breeding season (non are laying or breeding yet ) although Hercules(my jap roo) did start to chase everyone in his pen last week.
The Japs are 19weeks old and are from a BYP'er.(Thankyou).
They were transported down by another BYP'er(Thanks to you also).
The black and grey silkies(crossed with either houdans or polish a few gens back)are about 12 weeks old and my little white silkie is about 11 weeeks old.
All are very tame.
I enjoy looking out and seeing all my poultry pals scratching happily around and i LOVE to hear my boys crow.
They are locked up at night so they dont crow to early in the morning and annoy the neighbours :)

BABIES DUE IN 8 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: